During the cold winters, Minneapolis homeowners often overlook snow and ice buildup on their natural gas meter while heating your home. If snow and ice build up, the pressure regulator vents can become blocked allowing increased pressure into your home. Snow and ice can fall from a roof and cause a leak in the gas meter, which can start a fire. Allowing easy access will help utility workers and fire crew access to prevent tragedies.
Here are 6 gas meter safety tips to help keep you and your family safe:
1. Most importantly, if you smell natural gas, get everyone out of the house and call 9-1-1.
2. Clear the area around your meter by hand or with a broom.
3. Keep shovels and snow blowers away from the meter.
4. Never hit the meter to remove ice.
5. If the meter becomes encased in ice call your natural gas company and they can clear it.
6. Keep your roof above the meter free of ice or snow. Falling ice and snow can damage the meter causing it to leak or malfunction.
Keeping your meter clear will also give emergency crews and your energy company access to work should a problem arise.
Another important way to keep your home safe is to get a precision tune-up and safety check for your furnace. Tune-ups help keep your furnace running efficiently and regular check-ups make sure that the gas pressure is correctly set on your furnace and there are no malfunctions that could be emitting deadly carbon monoxide gas into your home.